Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Today was a good day

Today is a good day. 1) Eric got a raise 2) Jackson got into the preschool that was our first choice 3) I got a job and 4) We are having scalloped potatoes for dinner!

#1 Eric's raise. Okay, in all fairness, he knew it was coming and the whole company got raises. But still. A raise is a good thing, no matter how you look at it. Right?

#2 Jackson's preschool. We knew we wanted to get him into preschool starting in the fall. Given that I taught kindergarten really close by, I was pretty familiar with which ones were considered the "best". I looked into a few of them. There was one that stood out for many reasons. 1) the price was reasonable 2) it has GREAT reviews, both from parents I know and from the community in general 3) the hours were longer and 4) it's the school most of our friends applied to. This last one might not be a huge deal, except that I'll have a newborn baby right when he starts school, so it would be really nice to have some sort of "backup" to help with pick up and drop off. And it will also be nice for him to have some of his little buddies there that he already knows, given how shy he is.

#3 I got a job! Kinda. I used to watch kiddos out of the house up until about 7 months ago. It was a full time job for sure. From about 7:45 - 5:00 Monday-Friday. It really wasn't the healthiest situation for me. It left me unable to leave my house most days. I'm a very social creature and to be stuck in a house all day everyday made me rather depressed. I needed to stop doing this, for my sanity and the sanity of my family. Well, after 7 months of virtually NO income, it's clear that I need to do something to bring money in. It doesn't have to be a boat load of money. I still have my real estate career that brings in the bulk of the money, I just need something that is regular. I need to be able to put gas in my car each week and buy Jackson new shoes when he grows out of his. We looked into lots of options for me. Working weekends or nights was one, but that left Eric alone with Jackson and the three of us having absolutely NO family time. That's not great. All the other part time jobs didn't pay enough for me to put Jackson into daycare (especially with another one on the way). Childcare really is the most logical choice, as long as it's not the kind of hours it used to be. I don't have to put my kid(s) in daycare to do it, I have my degree in it, and I'm experienced. Through a string of people I don't really know, I came across a family that was looking for child care for their 4 month old little girl, two days per week. Perfect! We chatted on the phone a few times, they came over here to meet us and see the house last weekend, and then I got a call today that they'd like me to be the one to watch their little girl. Hooray!


#4 Who doesn't like scalloped potatoes? Seriously?!

Let's have a string of "good days", shall we?

1 comment: