Wednesday, March 24, 2010

12:00 : 12:00 : 12:00


Ahhhhhh....spring storms in Denver. We get at least one every year. It comes through here like we just kicked it's puppy and takes no prisoners. We got one last night. This one was a doozie too! It started as rain around 4:30 in the afternoon. By 5:00, it was a rain/snow mix and our power was out. I called Eric to warn him that we might have to go out to eat tonight if the power doesn't come back on. He was home around 6:00 and the power still wasn't on and it was full on snowing, so we had to go out. Our electric oven and range doesn't do us much good without electricity. Sooooo...we bundled up and headed out to Country Buffet. Eric doesn't love buffets because he thinks that you never eat your moneys worth. I love buffets because I can eat a bite of this and a bite of that. I get bored with food easily. I get bored with life easily....I disgress..... By now, the roads are pretty bad. Why is it that men feel like they are somehow exempt from car accidents? Eric is driving like Mario Andretti, passing people in much bigger cars than our mini van. And, God forbid I actually say something to him about it. "Do you want to drive?" he'll ask. "No, I just want you to drive safer!" I answer. We make it to Country Buffet in one piece in about twice the time it would normally take us. We are eating, all is good. I'm getting my second helping of 10 little bites on my plate when a I hear "MRS. BEST!!!!". It's something all teachers (former or current) hate hearing when they are out in public looking like they had no intention of leaving the house that day. (I used to be an elementary school teacher, in case you didn't know) It's one of my old second graders who is now 11 or 12 (holy cow!). We talk for a while. His dad comes over. We talk for a while more. I finally say that I'm going to go eat my food while it's still hot and go back to my seat. By the time we were done with dinner, I couldn't even see outside. It was a total white out. Eric pulled the car around for us and I run out with Jackson. We manage to get Jackson in his car seat and get strapped in ourselves before getting lost in the snow. We pull out onto the main street and there are no lanes, just cars all over the place, slipping and sliding and dodging each other. We went around at least 10 (probably more like 20) cars that were stuck in the middle of the road....including a Corvette. A CORVETTE! Who drives a Corvette in the snow?! It took us about 30 minutes to get back home and when we did, the power was back on! Yes! I hop out of the car and immediately fall. Not a little "whoops, I lost my balance and almost fell" fall. No, it was cartoon style, feet in the air, full body fall. I'm laughing and pissed at the same time. I can't even get up because this snow is so wet and slick. I finally get to my feet and MOTHER EFFER, I FELL DOWN AGAIN! I get to my feet and make it past the curb this time, and YEP, I fell once more. I'm completely soaked and cold and covered in snow, and NOT thinking this is funny anymore. We all finally get inside and put Jackson in his jammies and put him to bed, I change out of my wet clothes, I unloaded the dishwasher, we fed the dogs, aaaaand, the power went out again. Which means that Jackson's nighlight went out. He was freaking out! I lit candles, Eric brought Jackson downstairs. Just when he stops crying and all the candles are lit, the power comes back on again! Whew! Jackson goes back to bed, but now my certainty that the power will stay on is gone and I'm running around the house like a crazy person, trying to get everything in order, just in case we lose it again. We never did lose power again, and my house was clean, so everything worked out. Is it summer yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment