Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sticking it to the man! (I think his name is Michael...)


It's 10:15 at night and I'm sitting on the ottoman in the basement, heat setting screen printed shirts. I don't have to watch kids tomorrow, other than Jackson, so it's okay that I'm staying up a little later tonight. This screen printing stuff has taken up a lot of my time lately, not that that's a bad thing. It's also taking up a lot of my money, but today, I got a little bit of that money back! I went to Michael's Craft Store last night to get some more supplies and I saw that the screen printing machine that I bought just last week was on sale for $100 cheaper! I immediately went up to the service desk and asked for a price adjustment. The cashier said no. I asked for the manager. The manager said no. I told them that I would be contacting their corporate office in the morning. Their "no price adjustments" policy is completely absurd! The next morning I called Michael's corporate office and asked them about their policy. Low and behold, they DO NOT do price adjustments. How can you NOT? Isn't that standard policy for most places? I, not so nicely, told them that I would be taking my business to Joann Fabrics from now on. The customer service lady hung up on me. Bitch. I looked at their return policy and the machine I bought could be returned, but only if it's in the box and it's never been opened. I opened my machine last week when I got it.....hmmmmmm...... There has to be a way for me to get this $100. It's only fair, really! What if I buy a new machine, in the box, for $100 cheaper, then return THAT machine, but with my old receipt? How would they know if it was the old or new machine? They don't know I've opened mine. That's it! That's the new plan. So I go into Michael's one more time. The cashier that helped me last night is working again tonight. I walked in and she immediately said "are you the lady that was looking for a price adjustment on the screen maker?" Damn. Busted. "Yep, that's me". She asked me if I had talked to corporate. I lied and said I hadn't, but I was honest about my plan. I told her I would buy a machine for the sale price and return that same machine, but with my old receipt. I even told her that I would come back the next day, when she wasn't working, if she wanted me to. She said that she didn't blame me for doing this, but she was going to run it by her manager. I told her "That's fine. Run it by your manager, but I am doing this, even if she says no." I go to the back of the store and load up this machine in my cart and come back to get in line to buy it. I get to the front of the line and she says that she spoke with the manager and they will just give me my money back. I don't have to buy and return the machine. THAT'S RIGHT YOU'LL GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK! Okay, I didn't say that. I was very grateful and thanked her, and walked out of there $100 richer. But seriously Michael's, just change your policy already and don't make me go through all of this. It's the right thing to do, and people can get around it anyway, so just change it already!

No comments:

Post a Comment