Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do teenagers even know what calling cards are?


Can you imagine how different high school and college life would have been with the technology of today? I'm not trying to sound like a grandma or anything but back in the day, we didn't even have cell phones. It wasn't even until my senior year in high school that we got internet at home and an email address. It didn't really matter then, though, because no one else had email either. Then, when I went to college, everyone had their standard issue email address, but no computers. So, if you wanted to check your email, you had to either go to a computer lab or to one of the little email checking stations around campus. Heck, we didn't even have those little mini fridge/microwaves in our door rooms. (They put those in every dorm room the year after I moved out) No microwaves allowed. If you wanted to heat something up, you could use a hot pot! And calling someone? If it was long distance, you had to use a calling card, or call collect. Do you think high school kids these days even know what a calling card is? And, if you wanted to call someone locally, you had to call their house or dorm room. Chances are, they weren't there, so you'd leave a message and they'd call you when they got back. That could be hours! Now, you call their cell and even if they can't answer right away, they at least know you've called. Or you can text, just to send a quick message. And remember in high school when you wanted to call a boy that you liked? You had the added anxiety of their parent's answering! Dear God No!!! Or even worse, a sibling that's going to harass him because he got a call from a girl. I got my first cell phone when I was 23. I was already living with Eric. I wonder what it's like for people dating to have that sort of convenience? My guess is that it's really great, until it bites them in the ass. (i.e. Tiger Woods) I'm not saying that all of this technology is bad, but wow, it's different. And SO different SO fast. It's not like I'm 80 years old. I'm 31. College was a measly 10 years ago, but, man, I imagine that life would have been quite different!

No comments:

Post a Comment