Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Monday Night: Chicken Bruschetta


Last night I made Chicken Bruschetta. It's one of my favorite meals I make, and it's also rather healthy! I got this recipe from my mother in law. I'm not positive where she got it....a magazine, maybe? I have adjusted the recipe myself to fit our personal tastes. Also, a great bonus to this dinner? It takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish!

Shopping List

Boneless skinless chicken breasts $2

garlic powder (already had)

salt (already had)

pepper (already had)

cooking spray (already had)

4.5 oz jar sliced mushrooms $1.17

minced garlic (already had)

red onion (I didn't put any red onion in mine last time, but I'll estimate that it's about $1.00)

fresh or dried basil (I already had dried basil, so I used that, but it's REALLY good with fresh basil)
roma tomatoes $1.88 (this was for ALL of the tomatoes. I'll use the rest of the tomatoes later in the week for another recipe)

balsamic vinegar (already had)

shredded parmesan cheese $2.12

Pasta $1.98


Grand total of $10.15

Ingredients for chicken:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or however many people are eating)
1 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp salt
1/8 pepper


Ingredients for Bruschetta:

cooking spray

1 4.5 oz. jar sliced mushrooms

5 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 C chopped red onion

1/2 C loosely packed chopped fresh basil or
1 tsp. dried basil
3-4 medium Italian Roma Tomatoes, seeded, chopped
4 tsp balsamic vinegar (I usually use a little less than this recommended amount)

1/8 tsp black pepper

shredded parmesan


1) Spray broil pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper, place on broiler pan. Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 16-20 minutes or until fork-tender and juices run clear, turning once.


2) Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. This time I used bowtie pasta, but I've used just about every other kind. (They all taste the same, right?)


3) While the chicken and pasta are about halfway done cooking (usually around the 9 minute mark, when I flip the chicken) spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat, until hot. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and red onion. Cook a couple minutes, until the garlic and onion are tender, stirring occasionally. Add basil, tomatoes, vinegar and pepper and cook and stir about a minute, or until thoroughly heated.


4) Serve with chicken over the pasta and the bruschetta mix over everything. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment