Thursday, June 2, 2011

Embellished shirt part two!

Remember when I told you about DIYing my own embellished shirt? Well, shortly thereafter I made a second one. My inspiration came from this website. I had an old gray maternity tee from Target that was super soft, and I cut up another old white shirt that didn't fit me anymore. The gray shirt was one of my favorites, just because of the soft and stretchy material. I wore it home from the hospital with Jackson and never even put it away between pregnancies. It was comfy for sleeping or lounging. I figured that it had run it's course though, and I even had a stain on the front that I was eager to cover up. I liked the general look of the example shirt above, so I used that as the inspiration, but didn't follow the directions at all. What I did instead was cut 1 inch strips from the white shirt that didn't fit anymore. Like the last shirt, I was sure to use that stretchy cotton material, so I didn't have to worry about hemming or anything. Then I ran a basting stitch right down the middle of the strips and pulled the thread to make it into a ruffle. From there I just kind of placed it where I wanted on the shirt and pinned it down in sections. (See that red pin down below the ruffle? That's where my boobs are. I didn't want to accidentally draw two big circles around my boobs or anything. That's something I would totally do if I weren't paying attention!) After each section I sewed it using a small zig-zag stitch on my machine. I wanted to be sure to straddle the basting stitch to ensure it didn't go anywhere. I can tell you that these ruffles definitely aren't going anywhere! Here is a close up of the finished result, on. (It's backwards because I used the mirror to take the pic) And another view with the cardi.... In Vegas at buffet number 4.... I've since washed it and it held up well, although the ruffles are a little less fluffy....but I'm okay with that!

You might also like:




Night Owl













DIY shirt project















Baby's first gift

No comments:

Post a Comment