Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Baby's first gift!

I found out on December 1 that I was expecting. It wasn't overly clear at first that I was pregnant. I took a home test and there was one solid line and one extremely faint line. Like, so faint that I thought I might have imagined it. So, the next day, I took another one, and it was really faint again. A couple days of that and the line got darker and darker, until I was sure that it was a positive test. There was no "OMG! I'm pregnant! Yippee!" moment. There were "you're probably just imagining this positive pregnancy test, so whatever you do, don't get your hopes up" moments, followed by "well, now that the moment is gone, yes, you are in fact pregnant". The next week I went to the doctor and they confirmed all of my tests by peeing in a cup. I was pretty sure of my dates, so my doctor didn't feel the need for me to get an early ultrasound. At my 8 week doctor appointment, the doctor told me that she probably wouldn't be able to hear the heartbeat on a doppler, and she prefers to not even try, because then it will just worry me that she couldn't hear it. It wasn't until my 11 week appointment that I first heard the heart beat and it all seemed like it was really happening. So, up until a few weeks ago, I was kind of in denial, except for all of the morning sickness, acne, big belly and mood swings, of course, proving to me that this might actually be real. So, as a precaution (and also because I was totally broke) I didn't buy anything for the baby. I don't really need much to start with, unless it's a girl, then I'll just need clothes. For my first trimester screening, I SO had my hopes up that I would find out the sex of the baby. (And I just knew it was a girl) I had envisioned all of the adorable little baby girl stuff I could sew. I really wanted to make a girly rag quilt. I had the colors and textures all picked out in my mind. Well, when I found out that they couldn't/wouldn't tell me the sex, I was so disappointed. I really wanted to make something for my sweet baby. I decided that I'd make the rag quilt anyway, and just make it gender neutral. I went to Joann (by myself!) loaded with coupons, on Friday to get the fabric. I've gotta say, gender neutral stuff sucks! I don't particularly like pale yellow and green. I was hoping for more of a tan/chocolate brown theme, to match the current nursery, but my options were really limited. And I kept wandering over to the pink section, dreaming of the cute pink quilt I could make. But I finally settled on some fabric, that was gender-neutralish-leaning-towards-boyish. I figure that if I do find out I'm having a girl, I will happily make another, more girly, version. I decided not to make it a baby blanket, but, rather a full size throw. When I was pregnant with Jackson I spent countless hours knitting him a hooded baby blanket that he was able to use for exactly three minutes before outgrowing it. I wanted something that new baby could use for years. I got the material home and immediately got to work. I tend to get really excited about a project and have a hard time walking away. So, I worked until 2:00 a.m. Friday night and got it almost all the way done. (or so I thought) In the morning, I did a few finishing stitches on the sewing machine, then started the process of clipping every single seam. That. Took. Hours! But I finally finished and threw it in the washing machine, to give it that "rag" look. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and I'd love to make another one already! Maybe I'll make them and sell them on my etsy site?

Perfect size for the crib!

The back is solid tan color
Close up detail
Jackson helped de-lint

No comments:

Post a Comment