Monday, August 22, 2011

Mile High Momday: DIY Baby Wrap Carrier

When I had Jackson, I had a baby sling that I put him in all the time.  About a year later, it was recalled.  It didn't really matter too much to me, because he had outgrown it already, but then when I got pregnant with Gavin, I started doing research on something to replace the sling.  Everything I read was saying that the wrap style baby carriers were the way to go.  I had seen these before, but to be honest, they looked WAY too complicated for my busy life.  Sure, they were great once you took 15 minutes to tie it around yourself and put the baby in, but I just don't have that kind of time or patience.  I was talking to a neighbor of mine about these wraps and she said she had one that I could borrow.  So I did.  And it sat in the nursery for the first two weeks.  Then one day I got the motivation to try it out, and Googled how to wrap it around me.  It took me a couple minutes the first time, but once I got Gavin settled in, he loved it.
 He fell right into a swaddled baby sleep and that's how he stayed until I took him out.  
And it was so much more comfortable on me than most other carriers.  It's super lightweight and not bulky, so you can still go about your business.  And after I figured out how to wrap it, it only takes me a minute to wrap it around me and put Gavin in it. The other thing I loved about using a wrap is that I felt that Gavin was so much more secure than any other carriers I have.  I have both the Ergo (with the infant insert) and the Bjorn, and while they are both good for older babies, I always feel like I need to support his head with my hand when I moved around.  When you wrap the baby, their head is firmly on your chest and not going anywhere. Being truly hands free is a necessity for me right now because of Jackson.  So I fell in love with this wrap, the only problem is that I was just borrowing it from a neighbor and needed to give it back.  Similar wraps can run you upwards of $70 (or more), and that's just not a possibility right now.  Enter DIY.  For about $16 a wrap, I made my own, and you can too.  No, seriously.  You don't even have to know how to sew!  Here's how:
This is what the original borrowed one from the neighbor looked like, all laid out.
1)  Go to your local fabric store and get 6 yards (5 if you have a smaller frame) of a knit or rayon blend stretchy fabric.  Like t-shirt material.  The key with this is to get something that rolls on the ends and doesn't fray.  You'll want something with a little give in it.  A jersey knit is best.  The fabric I got was a little more expensive at almost $13 a yard, but I never shop at Joann's without a 50% off coupon, so that brought it down to $6.50 a yard.  That's still really expensive fabric, but I was being really picky and wanted something super soft and lightweight, since it's still in the 90's here.  You could get it for as low as $2.50 a yard, (with a coupon) if you really wanted to.  This fabric will be enough for you to make 2 wraps.  (Sorry, you can't get 3 yards and only make one wrap, you'll see why later....)

2)  Now that you have your fabric, find a place with lots of floor space and lay out the fabric.  Fold it in half long wise and in half long wise again, so that the fabric is shorter, but it's still the same original width of the fabric.  

3)  Now you cut it in half, width wise, so you have 2 pieces of fabric that are 6 yards long and about 25-30 inches wide (depending on how wide the fabric you bought was).  You don't have to sew a hem in it or anything, because the fabric doesn't fray!
 
4)  You're done!  Take one of those puppies and wrap your baby around you and go about your business.  

Now, for those of you that want extra credit, here are a couple more steps that I took, to give it a more finished look.  

1)  Take one of your wraps and fold it width wise.  

2)  Cut a triangle off the open side at the end, like this:
So it tapers at the ends, like this:

3)  Do that to both sides.

This step makes it a little less bulky at the ends, where you tie it and it hangs down.  

If you really want to go above and beyond, you can hem the edges. 

I'm a pinner and found that pinning and ironing this material really does help to keep it in place. I also fold it over twice, so you don't see the raw edge.


Ta Da!

I realized after making this and looking at the pictures that I look an awful lot like the Statue of Liberty.

Here's the best part, this DIY project makes two wraps!  That means that I have an extra one that I'll be GIVING AWAY!  All you have to do is leave a comment (any comment) and I'll randomly pick someone to give it to on Friday.  I'll even ship it to you for free! 

32 comments:

  1. You don't need to include me in the pool, but I just wanted to say that this is the exact same thing I did and I LOVE it. So much better than other wraps I've used! Brandon doesn't like it much, so we have a different carrier for him, but I can hold William all day in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this project!! That could be a cute gift for a few friends that are prego right now!! How exactly do u tie it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job at DIY! I am going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing! I have a feeling the hardest part will be learning how to put it on correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, cool! I had a wrap I borrowed from a friend for Eve, but could never get the hang of it. Maybe I'll hafta give it another try! ~Kate L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll work on a tutorial of how to tie it and put the baby in. It really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get around to making the tutorial to wrap it?

      Delete
  6. That's awesome! We have the Bijorn for S but she's still too tiny for it (but also needs to be worn to calm her down). So I also have to hold her head while wearing it. I would LOVE to try this one out! We need something so the husband and I can get stuff done around the house when she needs to be held:-) Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super impressed ... inspires me to jump in and try to DIY myself! Then I look at the pile of dishes in the kitchen and decide I better focus on that. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I would love to win this! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a carrier just like it and G & I LOVED it. I can think of someone who might want to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are AMAZING!!! :)Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Add me to the pool, I've been looking at the Moby's but I'm on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great job and got a good giggle on the Statue of Liberty LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) i know this is soo like a year ago but my husband and i just found out that were pregnant with our first little one :) were so excited and ive been talking about these wraps that i really am wanting to use, but im still confused on how to make them, hopefully i'll be able to do some more reading and get the hang of it. Their Beautiful by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found this link on how to tie them. SUPER EASY! I will definately be making one (well, TWO) of these! ;)
    http://youtu.be/yeJDIJHgL3Y

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog via Pinterest and love this tutorial, thank you for sharing it! I am also a Highlands Ranch mama and look forward to following your blog! Best, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Moby wrap, but am interested in making one of my own. I went to Hobby Lobby and their knit material is a lot thinner/lighter than a Moby. Will it still work and is it safe?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a wonderful tutorial! As a future mom I look forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you post the directions on wrapping and securing the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Go to:

    http://www.mobywrap.com/mw/Home.htm

    they have instructions on tying this type of wrap with videos and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. Ive been trying to save for a moby wrap but with a new baby its of course been put on the back burner. This would be so much cheaper and I could have it in any fabric I want! This is just amazing thank you greatley!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome post I will love to try this. do you know if it's safe to breast feed my baby in?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just wanted to say I cant wait to try this!! Ive always wanted a baby wrap but never bought one b/c their so expensive. Thanks so much for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How do y do u tie it
    I need direction on hiw to wrap it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband and I are expecting our first baby in August. No doubt I will try this!! Thank you so much for the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NRExB4vgk (this is the link on how to wrap in the newborn position) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcssC3u7_DI (this is the link on how to wrap in the cradle position). Thank you so much for the tutorial! I just finished mine this evening and tested it out on my dog, he fell asleep in 1 minute. Can't wait till my baby is born in June!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you! This an amazing idea can't wait to go pick out fabric and get busy. I only have a couple of weeks and my little man will be here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Also, the "pack" style may be used front facing or face to face (most models). This can be nice when baby develops meaningful focus.


    baby carrier wrap

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Baby wrap carrrier

    ReplyDelete