I looked long and hard for a stuffed owl for baby Gavin, and I just couldn't find one that I was happy with. One that matched his room and was soft for babies. Once again, my sewing machine saved the day! (I should note that I made this owl the night before Gavin was born, not since he was born. I suppose it was one last nesting push.....nesting.....get it?!) I thought since I had made the quilt already, I might as well use some of the leftover fabric from that (and some additional fabric) to make a patchwork style owl that matched. I didn't use a pattern or anything, I just knew what I wanted and drew out a basic pattern for myself. Here's what I did:
I drew the size owl that I wanted, then I added 1 1/2 inches to that to account for a seam allowance and some thickness when I added the stuffing. I did half of the owl and folded over the fabric, to make sure he was symmetrical.
I folded over the fabric and pinned on my pattern, then cut.
Here he is all cut out
Then I did the same for the front side. (I had already started cutting when I snapped this pic)
Then I made the wings (again, adding a 1/2 inch seam allowance) I cut two front wings and 2 back wings, out of the fluffy white fabric I used for the back of the owl.
For the eyes, at first I used at Starbucks cup as a pattern, but I thought it was too small.
So I switched to a canning jar lid and liked that size better.
For the inside of the eyes, I found this coordinating fabric and picked one of the circles and just cut it out.
For his tummy, I made another little pattern.
Then I laid everything out to make sure I liked the way it looked before taking it to the sewing machine.
Then I took all of the pieces that were part of the face, and would have an edge showing, and used this fray check (with a special applicator tip) and applied it to all of the edges. It only took a few minutes and beat the heck out of giving all of those round pieces hems.
Now for the sewing. The first thing I did was sew the wings together. I just did front side to front side and sewed the edges together. I didn't sew the seam that attached to the owl, no need. I didn't stuff these, I wanted them to be floppy.
Then I started on the face. His little nose is tucked under the eyes, so I started with that first, making sure to get it as centered as possible. This was the only time I changed the thread from brown for this project. I wanted the orange to stand out for the beak so I used orange thread. I also used a zig-zag stitch, set on a medium width and sewed the edges down.
Then I did the first layer of the eyes, followed by the top layer of eyes.....
And finally the belly.
It was at this point I decided to pass on the button eyes (that were in the picture where I laid everything out above). They were really cute, but I didn't want to have to worry about baby pulling them off and choking on them. They were perfect size for little hands to grab, and I thought that the pattern lent itself to looking like a pupil anyway. If it weren't for a baby, I'd probably consider adding them.
This is probably the most complicated step (and it's really not that complicated). Attaching the front to the back, and the wings. I put the wings on the outside layer (the "good" side) of the back side and lined them up where I wanted them and then put the face on (with the outside in.....good sides together). Pin it like crazy. Then I sewed a 1/2 inch seam around everything, leaving a small area at the bottom for me to fit my hand in and stuff him.
Then turned him right side out.
And stuffed him until I was happy with how fluffy he was...
Then used a needle and thread to and sew the bottom shut, making sure to fold the edges in, so I don't have any edges showing.Easy peasy! Serious, the whole thing took less than an hour. I am so inspired by how easy this project was I might even make a whole bird family!