Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Feeding Frenzy

The media is like a feeding frenzy of hungry sharks. I don't watch the news. Ever. If the news comes on, I change the channel. If I can't change the channel, I leave the room. If I can't leave the room I do my best to distract myself from it. I see absolutely no point in watching it. I'm not saying that no one should watch the news, I'm just saying that I, personally, have no reason to watch it. If something important happens that I need to know about, TRUST ME, I'll hear about it. But 99% of the news I don't need to hear.


I also don't consider myself naive or unprepared for real life. I know shitty stuff happens. That's why we have a great security system on our house, lock our doors at night, shred our important documents before throwing them away and avoid bad parts of town.


I don't think that knowing that someone else got hurt or jumped or robbed or raped or murdered makes me (or anyone else) more prepared for it to happen. And hearing about someone else getting hurt or jumped or robbed or raped or murdered only makes me paranoid and stressed.



There is enough in my life, and everyone's life, to worry about. I don't need constant reminders of bad things happening around me. So I make the choice to ignore it.

2 comments:

  1. First, I completely agree with you about this. I don't watch the news either. Why be more depressed? Everything I REALLY need to know about, I'll hear on Facebook anyway. :)

    Second, the stuffed owl in Jade's room came from Amazon and it's by Lambs & Ivy. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Ivy-Enchanted-Forest-Plush/dp/B001JJCMJ8. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! I also have a friend that is crocheting me a stuffed owl. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete