Friday, February 18, 2011

Cake pops

Have you ever had one of Bakeralla's cake pops? Well, if you haven't, let me tell you what it's like. Imagine the most moist piece of cake you've ever had in your life, and multiply that moistness by ten. So, it's THAT cake, rolled into a ball or formed into another shape, and then dipped into chocolate or candy and decorated to resemble something adorable. On a stick. I had my first and only taste of a cupcake pop at a friend's baby shower several months back. I'm not a big pastry eater (shocking, I know, given the amount of ice cream I regularly consume) but these were too adorable to pass up, so I tried one. And it was SO good. (I may or may not have stolen a couple from the party to take home) It almost tasted like cake batter, minus the stomach cramps and salmonella. Well, this past weekend for Valentine's day, my mother in law sent me Bakeralla's cake pop cook book. I was eager to try to make them and I have a poker party that I'm going to this weekend, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity. I decided I'd make little playing cards. I figured, how hard could it be? A rectangle, dipped in white candy and I'd draw the numbers and symbols on with edible markers. So, after Jackson went to bed last night I gave it a shot. I already had the cake baked and the balls formed and in the freezer. Now all I had to do was change the balls to rectangles and dip. Here's how that turned out:
That's not cute. I couldn't get it to be rectangley enough and also dip it in the candy without it falling off the stick. And I was tired. So I covered the remaining balls and put them back in the fridge to be dealt with in the morning. I decided to just make the regular old cupcake pops instead. Something that actually had directions to it. I suppose, in hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to make up my own cake pop the very first time I ever made cake pops. So this morning I went back to the store and got chocolate and pink candy and a flower shaped cookie cutter to make the cupcake pops. I think these turned out much better.

They certainly aren't perfect, but they taste delicious and are cute
enough to take to the party. Next time they will be better. There is definitely a learning curve.

Oh, and I used the extra chocolate and sprinkles to make Eric a giant snow cap (which he loves)

I'm not sure this picture adequately portrays the giantness of this snow cap. I'd say it's at least 6 inches wide!

1 comment:

  1. Ok girl, you gotta post the recipe now!

    PS- This is Amanda Williams =)

    ReplyDelete