Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's the #1 reason for divorce?


Marriage! I heard someone say that on the radio today. Although it's funny because it's true, it got me thinking about a conversation I had with a friend the other day, while we were both watching Tiger Woods spill his little heart out (or whatever that was) during his press conference. Why do so many people cheat? I've never cheated on my husband and my husband has never cheated on me. I think most people (cheaters or not) agree that it's certainly NOT a morally or socially acceptable thing to do, yet more than 50% of people do it. That's a lot! I genuinely think that most people don't walk down the aisle with the idea that they are going to cheat, so what goes wrong? At what point does someone make it okay in their heads to go ahead and cheat? Is it that they should have never gotten married in the first place? Or maybe that humans, as a species, aren't "programmed" to stay with one person forever and those that do stay together forever are either fighting it tooth and nail, or are extraordinarily lucky? I hope I'm one of the extraordinarily lucky ones!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. My hubby and I feel the same way about monogamy and how valuable it is to us. I do believe humans are supposed to be monogamous by nature, otherwise we wouldn't see monogamy in nature outside of humans right? I think that people who cheat are either unhappy, or possibly some sort of emotional issue causing them to do it, and some just simply have little willpower against temptation.

    ReplyDelete