Thursday, August 25, 2011

How To: Tie A Wrap Baby Carrier

When I posted the blog about how to DIY your own baby wrap carrier, I had a few people ask me how I tied the wrap, so here is a step by step tutorial.  (And don't forget, you can win this wrap by commenting on my DIY baby wrap carrier post by Friday, August 26, 2011) 

The basic idea goes something like this:  Cross the back, cross the front, wrap around then tie.  


1)  Find the middle of the wrap and gather the fabric around your waist.


2)  Wrap the fabric around to your back.


3)  Take the fabric at your left hip and put it over your right shoulder.


4)  Take the fabric at your right hip and put it over your left shoulder, to form an X on your back.


5)  You'll now have the fabric over both shoulders, hanging down your front.  Take both sides of the fabric and slide it under the fabric around your waist.  


6)  Now cross the fabric, so you have an X on your front also.


7)  Take the ends of the fabric around your back.  You can tie it here, behind your back, or if you have enough fabric, you can:


8)  Continue wrapping around to the front and tie it in the front.  


You are all finished wrapping and tying.  Now you do a little prep to get the baby ready to go in. 
1)  Make a little pocket out of the side of the X in the front that is closest to your body.


2)  Then make a pocket on the outside part of the X.

Now how to put your baby in:

1)  Hold the baby on the shoulder opposite of the inside side of the X on your chest.  My inside part was on the right, so I'm holding Gavin on my left shoulder.  


2)  Slide the baby down your chest and into the pocket nearest to your body, with his feet and legs in the fetal position.  Slide the fabric over his legs, bottom and body.  (This part of the fabric is located at #1 on diagram above)


3)  Take the other pocket and wrap it around the baby's feet, bottom and body.  (#2 on diagram above)


4)  Now take the edge of the fabric around your waist and pull it up and over the baby.  (#3 on diagram above)


5)  Then I take his head and snuggle it on my chest and wrap the fabric around his head to hold it in place.  

I hope this tutorial helps.  I think the best way to really learn how to do it is to just try it yourself.  There are also many videos out there demonstrating how to do this, and many different holds as well.  

Happy baby wearing!
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Looks like Gavin was very cooperative too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to write you and let you know that I received my wrap last week. It is awesome and Jade loves it!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across this post. Assuming youre still carrying, could you post a tutorial on back carrying? :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete