Monday, August 29, 2011

Mile High Momday: Colorado Comfort Casserole

For this week's Mile High Momday, I'm going to share one of our family's favorite recipes.  It was given to me by my mother in law and has become a regular in the dinner rotation.  My husband and I are both originally from Ohio and were raised with good ol' midwestern cooking, so casseroles get two overly polite thumbs up from us.

When I was first given the recipe, it was called "lattice top chicken bake", however, mine never looked lattice-y at all.  Instead it was rather mountain-y looking, so I changed the name.  I've also changed a few parts of the recipe, to suit our tastes.  

Another reason that the recipe is a favorite, is that it's super easy to make and my three year old can help make it with minimal damage.  (We still have to eat this dinner after all)  He loves helping do just about anything and cooking is no exception.  It also helps him take ownership of his food, making him (who is a SUPER finicky eater) more excited about eating and dinner time in general.

Colorado Comfort Casserole

1 can cream of chicken soup
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 Cup milk
1 large can friend friend onion rings
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 Cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 Cup biscuit mix
1 pound frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower, thawed
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 Cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
dash of garlic powder

1) Combine soup, 3/4 C milk, seasoned salt, chicken, vegetables, 1 C cheese, 1/2 can of onion rings, salt and pepper
2) Spread in a greased 9 X 13 pan.
3) Bake uncovered at 425 for 10 minutes
4) Mix biscuit mix, eggs, 1/4 C milk, 1/4 Cup cheese, and dash of garlic powder to form a soft dough
5) Spoon the dough over the chicken mixture.
6) Bake, covered for about 20 minutes, then uncover and bake another 5-10 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown and the casserole is bubbling
7) Top the crust with the remaining cheese and onion rings
8) Bake another 3-5 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the onion rings are slightly brown.  

A few personal notes about this recipe.  
* For the cooked chicken, what we usually do is get a rotisserie chicken and cut up that meat, so I don't have to pre-cook the chicken myself.  I also have gotten cans of chicken before and it still turns out good. 
* I've been known to be rather liberal with the cheese in this dish.  Feel free to add more or less, depending on your taste.

* I've also been known to double the biscuit topping, which is what I did in the pictures below.  (Can you ever really have too many biscuits?)

Shopping trip to pick up the ingredients

Cutting the chicken

Greasing the pan!



Cream of chicken soup
Adding the milk

Finished!
As an added bonus, a friend of mine posted this recipe for iced coffee.  It's perfection.  Give it a try!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture that looks like he is attacking the chicken!

    ReplyDelete