Friday, July 22, 2011

The Nursery Is Done!

Well, close enough anyway.  There are still a few small things I'd like to get finished, but it's definitely ready for us to put a baby in there.  So, the theme of the room started from the inspiration from this picture I found on etsy.
The theme is owls, but specifically, rock band owls.  And I didn't realize until just now just how totally specific that is.  It's really two themes.  Owls and music, so you'll find both of those things in the room.  It might not make sense to most people, but it does to me, so it works......
This is the new piece of furniture in the room.  I fell in love with this rocking chair at the beginning of my pregnancy.  It's soooooo soft and sooooo comfortable.  I don't know if you can tell in the picture but it's made of corduroy, which I love.  The problem with this chair was the price tag.  I knew there was no way, even if we had the money, that my husband would let me spend our money on it.  So I did what I always do, which is figure out a way to get it that didn't involve spending money out of our weekly budget.  Usually I look at something and try to figure out how to make it, but furniture making is definitely not in the scope of my abilities, so I did the only other thing I could think to do.  Make money exist where no money existed before.  Craigslist to the rescue!  We have so much in our house that is actually worth something that we use almost never.  Like, for example, our Wii system.  In the last year and a half, we have used it exactly one time.  And although I was a little sad to sell the Wii, because I think Jackson would really enjoy it as he gets older, we still have a Play Station.  And I also needed to compare it to how much I would use this rocker versus that Wii.  We are talking daily use versus once a year use.  No question in my mind.  Totally worth it.  So between selling a couple sets of dishes, the Wii and other household stuff that we don't use anymore, a 20% off coupon, and a little baby present money from my in-laws, I got my chair!  I also made that little matching throw for it.  (Knowing how to sew is priceless!)

The crib is the same crib Jackson used.  I made this quilt a while back, and just yesterday  whipped up this quick bedskirt.  (One of the easier projects I've ever done)
 
Here's the band.  We have a drummer, singer, guitar player and pianist.  Under them is another new piece to this room.  I love these little cubbies and have them in Jackson's room and two in the playroom.  They are great for books, toys and other items.  I have the receiving blankets, bibs and burp cloths in this one, plus some books and a bear.  I'd also like to point out the tv on there.  This is NOT a permanent fixture in the room, but only something to entertain Mommy during those late night feedings the first couple months.  It will go soon after that.
The changing table and shelf above are also leftover from Jackson's nursery, but I changed the clothes hanging from them and the accessories above.  I have a wipe warmer on the table, but I don't really suggest them.  I think they dry out the wipes.  I just store them in there, unplugged, so I don't have to look at the box they come in.
And finally his little closet.  The top row of clothes is all of this newborn size.  The bottom row is 0-3 months.  As you can see, this baby is not in need of any more clothes, especially 0-3 months, but when I was first getting everything ready, I only had 6 newborn sized onesies.  A quick trip to the Carter's outlet solved that problem though!

Now, the only thing I'm missing is the baby!



Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. So cute and creative! I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blog for several months now (we're due on the same day!)... I hope you don't mind the stalking!

    I bought the EXACT SAME owl print from Etsy for my husband for Fathers Day. I wanted to do an owl theme, but we got tons of gifts that were pretty theme-less, so that print is really the only owl thing in the nursery. My husband is a percussionist and I thought it was adorable.

    I love how your nursery turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind at all Brianna! How fun that we are due the same day. How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel better than I thought I would at this point. I feel massive, but not completely worthless yet. I haven't really had any signs of labor yet, but I'm really hoping not to go over my due date.

    ReplyDelete